Supervisory drivers and learner vehicles

You can be a novice car supervisory driver if you meet all of the following requirements:

  • have a full Australian car licence (other than a restricted licence)
  • have held this full licence continuously for the previous 12 months
  • provide driving instruction to the learner when they are driving.

You need to provide the person you’re supervising with a safe environment to learn in, so they get as much practice and experience driving as possible. Remember that this is the learners first driving experience, so be patient and make sure that they develop safe driving habits.

You should also make sure that your learner is complying with all the conditions of their licence, including displaying L plates, obeying learner speed restrictions and having a 0.00 blood alcohol content level.

If you need a supervisory driver or think that a learner you know would benefit from driving lessons, you can also get driving lessons from a professional driving instructor. These drivers have experience in instructing and tutoring new drivers.

You can get a free lesson with keys2drive. There are also multiple other businesses that offer driving lessons (which have their own fees), which you can search for on the internet.

As a learner, you can drive any vehicle that is roadworthy and registered, including either automatic or manual vehicles. You may also wish to make sure that your car is insured, just in case of accident while learning.

If you choose to take your P1 practical assessment in a manual car, you’ll get a manual driving licence (which will allow you to drive both manual and automatic cars). If you take your P1 practical assessment in an automatic vehicle, you’ll get an automatic licence (which means you can only drive automatic cars).

Icon Home Back to Supervisory driver information